The UN adopted the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SGDs) in 2015 as ‘a plan of action for people, planet, and prosperity by 2030.’ The UN describes sustainable development as “development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” FoodForward SA agrees and supports this plan of action, and is actively addressing 11 of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals using its cost-effective foodbanking model.
In South Africa 14 million people go hungry every day, and a further 14 million people are at risk of hunger. FoodForward SA’s vision is a South Africa without hunger. This vision can only be realised though collaborative partnership with all stakeholders.
With the support of partners, and using the cost-effective foodbanking model, FoodForward SA is actively promoting the following SGDs:
- No Poverty
- Zero Hunger
- Good Health
- Quality Education
- Gender Equality
- Decent Work
- Industry Innovation
- Reduced Inequalities
- Sustainable Cities
- Climate Action
- Life on Land
These goals are achieved by implementing several initiatives. These include:
- The provision of nutritious food to 600 Beneficiary Organisations that feed 250,000 people daily in our mission to promote zero hunger.
- In partnership with the Kellogg’s Foundation, we implement a school breakfast programme that provides 5 million meals each year to hungry children
- Our Foodbanking model ensures that our stakeholder’s carbon footprint is reduced.
- Corporates can also off-set their carbon footprint by supporting FoodForward SA.
- As part of our Second Harvest outreach programme, we work closely with farmers to ensure that their post-harvest fresh produce surplus is collected by FoodForward SA and diverted to feed vulnerable people across of South Africa.
- Because we ensure that at least 75% of our beneficiary organisations focus on education, skills development, and women, the nutritious food we donate promotes development
In a country as culturally rich and diverse as South Africa, FoodForward SA is proud to actively address world-changing objectives that require cooperation among governments, corporates, organisations and world leaders. Indeed, we all can make a difference and help change our world.